The Young Men’s Hebrew Association and Young Women’s Hebrew Association both received their charters in 1910. The Associations amalgamated in 1950 when they moved to the Y’s current home on Westbury. For the past hundred years, the Y has served the Jewish Community, adapting to the needs of the times.
The Y’s resources have evolved considerably since its inception. The first location on Ontario East had a few pool tables and some gym equipment in the basement. As membership grew, resources grew. The Y tennis courts opened in Fletcher’s Field (Jeanne Mance Park) in 1927. The Davis building on Mount Royal was dedicated in 1929 and provided ample space and equipment for 21 years until the membership outgrew the facilities.
Over one hundred years have seen the Y grow from its beginnings in a flat above a laundromat to today’s state-of-the-art fitness, community, educational and cultural Association. Today the YM‑YWHA Montreal Jewish Community Center consists of two branches: The Ben Weider JCC, and the Harry Bronfman Y Country Camp.